Sunday, May 29, 2011

Stillwater spa may get rubbed out

If someone were to ask me to describe Toronto, the city in which I live, in four words, I would answer:

"Great city, lousy spas!"

And I point to what's generally accepted as the city's "best" spa, Stillwater in the Park Hyatt Hotel as proof.

Last night I arrived at Stillwater expecting to enjoy a steam before surrendering my body to Wendy, the excellent therapist who has rubbed away my aches and pains on numerous occasions. Instead, I got no steam and no Wendy, who was on duty and I was told would be my therapist.

The men's steam room was out of commission - "sorry for the inconvenience" the sign hanging on the door informed me - and when the therapist arrived, it wasn't Wendy. The receptionist confirmed I was getting Wendy and never informed me about the change or that the steam room was out of order.

The young therapist who did treat me - I won't divulge her name because she was charming - lacked the skill set one expects from a spa that charges New York prices. So the treatment my aching shoulders and back were expecting turned into nothing more than a good rub down.

Stillwater - it sits over a subway line and the treatment beds shake every time a train rumbles by - has had Toronto's spa population in the palm of its hands because it really is the only game in town.

However, with the addition of new 5-star hotels in Toronto - the Ritz-Carlton (now open); Shangri-La and the new Four Seasons (both will open in 2012) and all will be offering ultra-modern spa facilities - Stillwater better get its act together or it will be rubbed out by this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment