Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rare white kiwi born Down Under

This rare white kiwi has New Zealand abuzz with excitement.
I'm embarrassed to admit that while I've seen most of the world, I've not made it to Australia and New Zealand - yet!

Shame on me. Maybe it's because so many of my friends and fellow writers have visited Down Under that I feel I've lived their experiences vicariously.

But one day I'll get there and when I do, it's the weird wildlife that lives on the opposite side of the world that I really want to see - the kangaroos, koala bears and the latest edition to the "strangest creatures in the world club" - the all-white kiwi bird.

The good folks at New Zealand tourism proudly sent me a picture of the all-white chick named Manukura (it means "of chiefly status") who was born - or is it hatched - at the country's national wildlife centre recently.

Manukura is not an albino kiwi, but the rare progeny of kiwi bird that were transferred to Pukaha from Hauturu/Little Barrier Island last year. The chick was the 13th of 14 kiwis successfully hatched at Pukaha Mount Bruce this breeding season, by far the most successful since 2003 when the kiwi were reintroduced into the wild there.

The white chick will remain in captivity with other chicks at Pukaha for at least four to six months where, subject to its behavior and welfare, it will be able to be viewed several times a week while being weighed. When it is old enough to protect itself, it could potentially be released into the sanctuary.
Now I have another reason to visit New Zealand.

For more information, go to www.NewZealand.com

No comments:

Post a Comment