Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jury duty hangs me out to dry


Day II of jury duty is over – still no trial to preside over for juror 1557.
Nerves are getting frayed. The grumbling is getting louder.
Biggest complaints: Why do we have to pay for coffee? Why is there no free Internet access?
There are 200 of us cramped in a jury lounge and in the last 24 hours we’ve been called to court just once -12 of our members were picked for a criminal trial from a pool of 50– the rest of us just sit and wait.
One perspective juror wonders why we are being kept from our jobs – “with so many people out of work maybe they should pick jurors from the unemployment roll instead of the tax list (which is what they do in Ontario).”
Some people are getting very cozy – I think one affair has started up in the back of the room.
There’s lots of sneezing and coughing – I’m sure I’ll be sick for weeks after this.
On my death bed, I hope I get credit for the days I’m spending here.

No comments:

Post a Comment