Monday, October 10, 2011

Old Montreal looking old and tired


The Hotel Nelligan is too much for too little!
 Just got back from Montreal where I spent a lovely weekend touring the city's famed Old Town (Vieux Montreal) and enjoying great food - Montreal chefs remain Canada's best - and soaking up the festive atmosphere that always surrounds this lovely French city.

To make the weekend a little more special I checked into one of Montreal's Old Town boutique hotels - Quebec hoteliers are the best at turning old period buildings into chic hotel properties.

The historic Hotel Nelligan on Rue St. Paul, named after one of French Canada's best known authors, was my property of choice.

Impressions: Very nice hotel - very average service - typical "boutique" property that christens itself a 5-star hotel and delivers 3-star service - the staff always seems to have their hands out for tips here - but their service does not warrant it.

Other impressions of Montreal:

* Judging by the number of "Louer" (to let) signs splattered about the Old Town, Montreal looks like an economic disaster area;

* Too many Old Town restaurants offer "set menus" - meaning you get three courses (all of which are fabulous) when you only want one or two; I hate chefs dictating how fat I will get;

* The provincial sales tax and other local taxes tourists must pay here are outrages - my $230 a night room (I stayed 2 nights) resulted in a $630 final bill - $430 for the stay and $200 in additional taxes and a two night hotel parking charge - ouch!

* The Old Town is looking old and tired - streets are littered with garbage and there's too many "chain" restaurants moving into the area - I liked Old Montreal when it was a bastion for up-and-coming young chefs.

Despite all the pitfalls, though, I can't wait for my next visit to Montreal!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment