Friday, October 7, 2011

Justice is served - jury duty is over!


Day IV of jury duty – Yea, it’s my last day!

A small medical procedure I must undergo means I’ve been excused from the fifth and final day of my jury commitment.

It’s been quite an experience.

My name was never picked as a perspective juror so I was never “challenged” in court by attorneys – the term “challenged” in legal parlance really means “we reject you” and is uttered by either the defence or prosecution lawyers when they don’t want someone to judge the accused.

I only got called to one case (a juicy one involving guns and gangs) but my name was not pulled from the drum used to pick jurors, so back to the waiting lounge I was sent with about 200 other unhappy citizens.
Observations: Jury selection has not kept up with the times – the antiquated system which has been around long before electricity, let alone computers, needs to be updated.

Yes, I agree with the principal of people doing their civic duty and that jury panels must be impartial – but at least give us free wi-fi so we can stay in touch with the outside world and  can stay connected with our jobs.

I will now be excused from jury duty for three years – maybe when my name is picked again, the system will be improved and brought into the 21stcentury.

No comments:

Post a Comment