Friday, September 9, 2011

9/11 ghosts still haunt air travelers


DATELINE TAIPEI – It never dawned on me when I made arrangements to visit Taiwan that I would be flying on 9/11.

My friends, however, were quick to remind me.

I got here safely, thanks to Eva Air, but there were many empty seats on a flight out of Toronto that I’m told by airline officials is “pretty” full most nights.

So, on the 10th anniversary of the most horrific of terrorist plots against the United States and the free world, I’m left to assume that the ghosts of those who carried out the cowardly attacks on New York and Washington are still haunting us.

But so much has changed since that dreadful day – air travel will never be the same again.

And that’s a good thing, in my opinion. Pre-9/11 air travel was too lax and that resulted in hijackings and bombings against civilian airlines long before Osama Bin Laden and his thugs were ever heard from. The chances of madmen turning civilian airlines into “missiles” again has been greatly reduced now thanks to the security checks implemented post 9/11 – if they had been in place on that dreadful day; well, we’re only left to speculate.

Air travel has always been the safest form of travel and it’s been made even safer since 9/11 – too bad so many people had to pay the ultimate price to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment