Saturday, March 26, 2011

Beijing’s KFC a real whopper!

DATELINE BEIJING - While waiting in line today to get my Western food fix (a steady diet of even the world’s best Chinese dim sum and hot pot wears thin on me after four straight days) I start to wonder what to order in the KFC I find opposite Tiananmen Square.

When I reach the front of the line I tell the nametag “Sophie” I want the BIG fries; BIG bucket; and a BIG Coke. Hey, this is the BIGGEST KFC in the world, after all.

Spread over three floors and almost 35,000 square feet, this is one whopper of a restaurant. And it was the first KFC ever opened in China – back in 1987. It was refurbished in 1999 and each of the floors is now themed.

The first floor is a tribute to China’s Great Wall – remnants of which are located within walking distance of this KFC – and showcases some beautiful photographs of the greatest ever man-made structure.

The second floor celebrates the roll hutongs (courtyard homes) once played in this society. Few hutongs, which date back 300 years to the Ming and Qing dynasties, remain standing in Beijing and the few that are, ironically, are being turned into chic restaurants.

The third floor is a celebration of Chinese art.

After awhile, you wonder if this is a restaurant or a museum.
KFC is enjoying unprecedented success in China – the Chinese love their chicken – and a recent report I saw on CBS suggested one new KFC outlet opens somewhere in China every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment