Saturday, March 26, 2011

Photos from a Sunday morning stroll through the ancient streets of Beijing

DATELINE BEIJING - Just thought I'd share some photos I took today while walking the streets of China's capital on a sunny day.

The photo of the monk was captured outside the Lama Temple in the oldest part of Beijing - it's the only temple of its kind outside Tibet and it's where the Lama came to study back in the 17th century. The grounds are beautiful and the place is a real oasis of calm from the noise and chaos happening outside on the traffic-clogged streets of Beijing. Inside, the grand Buddha is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen - the female features are stunning.

Then I walked through the imposing red doors with the lion doornob into the Forbiden City where I saw a little girl doing some forbidden things on the sacred items. For lunch I thought I'd patrol Snack Street in the city's Central Business District but passed on the skewered fried bugs and accepted a vendors offer of some fresh corn on the cob. While walking back to my hotel, I captured nature displaying its graffiti on some ancient walls and outside the city's main catholic church, I witnessed wedding parties jockey for position to snap just the right photo with the church acting as a background.


Beijing truly is a beautiful city - especially on a sunny Sunday morning.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment