Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm heading to Beijing over Japan

I'm off to Beijing Friday (March 18) and no I'm not worried about being exposed to high levels of radiation from those leaky Japanese nuclear reactors.

Anyone heading to China, or anywhere else in Asia for that matter, should not be worried about being contaminated because the infected plume of smoke from those damaged reactors will likely hit the West Coast of North America before it hits anywhere in Asia thanks to wind patterns.

My Cathay Pacific flight will probably fly right over Japan and at 35,000 feet, I'm not a bit worried.

I appreciate why people are nervous about travelling to Japan and completely understand why many Canadians who scheduled trips to that unfortunate nation in the next few weeks have cancelled or postponed their departures.

However, why do people assume what happens in Japan is happening elsewhere in Asia?

Did we all fail geography? Japan is an island unto itself, literally, and Tokyo is over 2,100 km from Beijing. Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore are even further away. Even Japan's closest neighbour South Korea is not in danger.

I'll report back daily so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment