Thursday, March 24, 2011

I’m the Wikileaks of travel

Been blogging just a short time but already it appears I’m getting under the skin of the European Travel Commission for leaking information that more of its members are pulling out or drastically reducing staff in Canada – Britain being the latest to reduce its Canadian office staff by half thanks to budget cuts ordered by London.

Just call me Wikileaks Light

The Swiss are particularly angry at me – poking holes in my recent post that they’re closing their New York office and bringing their operation to Toronto. In fact, the Swiss say they’re only moving their North American media operations to Toronto but their New York tourist office will remain open. Seems I misunderstood the “we’re closing our New York office” comment as told to me by a high-ranking Swiss tourism official. My apologies.

And the Euro Commission is apparently upset that I brought to light its dismissal of John Stephenson, the man who represented the Euro zone so well in Canada for many years. Seems the Euros don’t like to share these trivial facts with Canadians.

And, claims the Euro Commission rep who scolded me about the blog: “The European Commission will actually be spending more money promoting European travel in Canada.”

Well, if by cutting staff, closing offices and not renewing the contract of its Canadian representative is the way the European Travel Commission feels it’s “investing more” in Canada, you’ll excuse my confusion.

Sadly, I think I’ll be investing lots of time posting news about more European closures in Canada in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment