Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Busy day ahead touring Dallas


The Meadows Musuem entrance is fun.
DATELINE DALLAS – On the second day of my visit to wonderful Dallas, Pippin Clifton, my outstanding guide from the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau, will be introducing me to the Rosewood Mansion at Turtle Creek , the Sixth Floor Museum from where Lee Harvey Oswald fired the shots that killed president John F. Kennedy, the Dallas Arboretum, the Nasher Sculpture Center, the Dallas Museum of Art and the city’s AT&T Performing Arts Center before we sit down for dinner at trendy Stephan Pyles restaurant.


A busy day ahead and I’ll be reporting back on what it’s like to stand at the window and look out on the place that changed the world forever.

First impressions of Dallas yesterday ware that this is a city I could easily live in –world class in every way and with an arts scene that has few equals. It exudes a worldly sophistication few other American cities have but yet keeps its small town charm.

The SMU campus (Southern Methodist University) is one of the loveliest I’ve ever seen and if your read my earlier blog on the Sistine Chapel exhibition at the Meadows Museum opposite SMU you’ll know how impressed I was with that facility.

Dallas’ dedication to the arts and the fact that its world class venues – some designed by the great I.M. Pei – are mostly financed by private funds – those oil men know how to give back to the community – has really impressed me.

Pippin is excited about the “overpass” park that the city is building and will connect the arts district with Dallas’ vibrant downtown, which boasts an amazing Ritz-Carlton Hotel where renowned celebrity chef Dean Fearing serves up culinary delights in a room that combines chic and comfy very nicely. The chef’s tortilla soup and shrimp tacos are to die for!

I’ll be reporting back later today on what else I see in Dallas so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment