Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal wedding dress disappoints me


 I’m back home after my 26-hour flight from Singapore via New York and through blurry eyes I watched the Royal Wedding this morning – damn jet lag has thrown my clock off again.

I’m no fashion critic but after all the hype of who would and would not design the wedding dress worn by the Duchess of Cambridge (formerly plain old Kate Middleton) and what it would look like, I must admit I was somewhat disappointed – a bit too Plain Jane in its design. Maybe Princess Di’s elaborate wedding dress has ruined me forever.

However, London looked radiant!

No other city in the world looks as good as London when it puts on its regal look.

William and Kate’s wedding will certainly help inject new energy into the Royal Family and the wedding ceremony and the pomp and circumstance surrounding it will no doubt have many tourists booking passage to London.

CBC and other networks offered feeds from St. Andrews, where Prince William met Kate while attending the ancient city’s renowned university.

I was there a few years ago and TV pictures today reminded me how beautiful the campus there is. I soaked up the sun in the very courtyard where crowds gathered today to watch the wedding on giant TV screens.

London, St. Andrews and Kate’s hometown of Bucklebury – located 80 kilkometres west out London – will be overcrowded with tourists in coming weeks and months as the wedding ceremony hysteria continues well into the future.

Reminds me that it’s almost time for me to return to England.

Go to http://www.travelife.ca/ for my stories on St. Andrews.

9 comments:

  1. I meant to say as well that the dress reminded me of Maria von Trapp/Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music wedding scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gown simply, did NOT suit the occasion. She might be a commoner, but she is marrying the future King of England. The designer should have included a much larger skirt and train..veil as too plain. No WOW factor to this dress at all. Dress was also about 1" too long b/c the whole time she was walking down the aisle I was convinced she was going to trip over it. Pippa..dress was too sexy for this type of morning event and was a drastically different style...designer screwed this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really disappointed in the wedding dress. My own was a mere $450 and was more glamourous. Kate's was not flattering to her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah from England here. I have to agree I thought the dress was disappointing. It looked like something from a thrift shop to me. Very ordinary, like any other bride. The couple may have wanted to keep it natural but he is our future King. She forgot that she has the responsibility to have the wedding and dress that all us girls dream off but can never have. She lacked wow factor and her curls had dropped out of her hair on the balcony. Is this the end of our historic and noble royals?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also disliked the dress. All I heard this week on the t.v. was what a fashion icon Kate is...well not in that dress! And what about the sister's dress??!! Talk about a show-stopper! She definitely stole the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Whilst she looked elegant, there was no WOW factor. I was disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate's wedding dress is the biggest letdown of the century. I couldn't be more disappointed. I suspect that the TV producers changed their plans for the overhead shots like they did of Princess Dianna's stunning long train that filled the Cathedral. Kate's train amounted to a very tacky Chapel length train which was inappropriate in the world's most famous and grand CATHEDRAL. Even the Queen went from beaming and smiling to instant pasty white and frown when she got her first glimpse of Kate. I cannot imagine what Kate was thinking. The design she chose was cliche and overdone in the 1970's. It seemed obvious to me that the producers had to do some impromptu changes to their camera angles to try and make the dress look as good as possible. The dress was miniscule and tacky in the long shots, esp. the overhead shots. I was horrified and embarrassed for Kate and the Royal family. There was an instant change in shots of the faces of the attendees as most of them looked stricken and horrified the moment they saw the dress. I think if Kate wanted to dress like that, she should have chosen a small scale CHAPEL wedding. She had a huge respsonsibility to show up in a Cathedral length train and gown appropriate for the most grand of all Cathedrals in the world. Diana understood her responsibility and she pulled it off in what will remain the most iconic and best Princess Wedding Gown of all times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress was plain, too pointy, and thus a bit tacky, above, not floaty, soft or glamorous in any way and very, very dull. A real flop.

    The veil was inelegant and looked like a sheet.
    The bouquet had no beauty either.

    Her makeup was heavy-handed and aged her It was also too dark.

    She badly needed some fashion advice all round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree, the dress was so boring and plain.

    ReplyDelete