Sunday, April 17, 2011

Toronto rocks to a Brazilian beat

One of the "fun" events I attend each year here in Toronto is the Brazilian Ball, held to raise funds for the Royal Ontario Museum.
It's a charity event that breaks out into a carnival thanks to the appearance of dozens of samba dancers flown to Toronto from Rio de Janeiro just for the event. The performers are the same ones who compete in Rio's annual carnival.
The Brazilian Ball's mini-Rio Carnival comes complete with small replica floats and scantily attired dancers who samba to a Latin beat.
Besides raising lots of money for the museum, the event conjures up memories of my visits to Rio - one of my favorite spots in the world with its naughty nightlife, sun kissed beaches and fun-loving citizens.
Rio will be the centre of the tourism universe in the coming years thanks it being awarded both a World Cup of soccer and Summer Olympics - mega global events that are sure to draw millions of visitors to that crazy city with the awesome skyline.
I still remember arriving one night at Copacabana Beach to find myself being swallowed up in a crowd of a million people. It was just a "normal night" of fun in the world's fun capital and on New Year's Eve night, the locals told me the crowd swells to well over 2 million people.
Boy, I can't wait to visit that city again!
Any way, I thought I'd get you in the carnival mood by sharing some of the pictures I took of Saturday night's event with my iPhone.




No comments:

Post a Comment